*****INVITATION TO CELEBRATE WORLD ELEPHANT DAY****
WORLD ELEPHANT DAY is coming up.This special day was created to raise awareness of the crisis facing elephants. Last year more than 20,000 elephants were gunned down across Africa for their tusks to supply the ivory demand mainly in Asia.
In Nairobi, Kenya, HANDS OFF OUR ELEPHANTS kicks of the celebration on Saturday the of 9TH AUGUST. It will be a glorious jubilation of elephants through film, fashion, music and art.
VENUE: BROOKHOUSE SCHOOL, LANGATA
ENTRANCE- FREE. TIME: 10AM-3PM
ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN US IN CELEBRATING WORLD ELEPHANT DAY.
We have an exciting program of events lined up for elephant lovers
including two spectacular films,
“White Gold” Directed by Simon Trevor and narrated by Hilary Clinton. This front-line exposé of the modern day ivory trade explores its frightening impact—not only threatening elephant populations, but at times even funding terrorism. Narrated by Hillary Rodham Clinton, the film pays tribute to the beauty and emotional intelligence of the elephant and documents how the demand for ivory raises the stakes for nature, people and peace. Producer Arne Glimcher, founder of the Pace Gallery, joins forces with acclaimed wildlife filmmaker Simon Trevor and the producers of the African Environmental Film Foundation to tell the story. Ian Saunders and Tanya Saunders were involved in this production. The filmmaking team will hold an extended conversation following the film.
“Echo an Elephant Remember” Echo, the remarkable matriarch of a family of elephants in Kenya’s Amboseli National Park, was one of the most studied elephant in the world. She was the subject of several books and documentaries, including two NATURE films. For nearly four decades, elephant expert Cynthia Moss from the Amboseli Trust For Elephants, and award-winning filmmaker Martyn Colbeck recorded the trials and triumphs of Echo and her family, documenting the intense loyalties and deep caring that are so fundamental to all elephants, creating a moving record of a life we all can share.
PROGRAM WILL ALSO INCLUDE
1) Panel discussions
2) FASHION SHOW – KIKOTI-Hands Off Our Elephants Fashion Debut
3) ELEPHANT FUN FACT QUIZ SESSION – Raffles and other great opportunities to win prizes
4) ENTERTAINMENT- NdovuMusic, Drama, puppet show, HOOE- Penalty shoot out with elephant ball
5) ELEPHANT ART AUCTION- to fund raise for Hands Off Our Elephants OUTREACH Program.
Other activities include:
Recycled Art & Craft Display, Elephant Art Exhibition.
Information desks by supporting partners, organizations & initiatives
There are several ways that you can participate
1. Invite your youth group/organization to join the festivities and participate through an information stand
2. Reach out to your community/friends/family to attend the event with you – It is free!
3. Participate as a volunteer/audience or other activities in the wildlife quiz & debate
4. Display and sell/ auction your elephant art- Drawings & Portraits, Paintings, Sculptures.
5. Using social media #WORLDELEPHANTDAY#HANDSOFFOURELEPHANTS tag us in a picture, comment, status, mentioning why we need to celebrate elephants. Share this invitation to all you facebook and twitter followers.
Please contact Njambi- [email protected], if you are interested in participating in any way.
We are look forward to seeing you on the 9th!